Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Farewell

We stand a silent vigil for the dead, Kara and I, as the Ambulance attendants wheel a corpse out of a muddy playground. The rain cascades around us and I watch tiny rivers and waterfalls form on the wrinkles of the black body bag. I think of covering Kara's eyes but the rain seems to make my arms too heavy. Too too heavy.
It's fitting that this should be our farewell parade. Its fitting that our final steps in this vile town should be on pavement reflecting flashing red and blue. Our gate to leave this hole is not golden or pearly, it is bright yellow caution tape held over our heads by a police officer.
In silence Kara and I walk the block past the playground that takes us to the Bus station. In silence I hand over our tickets and lead Kara onto the bus and in silence we sit staring at the seats in front of us.
"I'm glad we're going." Kara says quietly, "I wasn't at first but now I'm kind of excited. There are a lot of other places out there aren't there? A lot of places a lot different from here right?"
"Yeah," I said back as outside the rain lets up and I see a hint of sunlight on the horizon, "We're going anywhere different from here."

No comments:

Post a Comment