Sunday, February 22, 2009

When the sun rose I awoke in a daze. It was as if all the studs that had held my world up had been kicked out and now the only things between my fragile head and my demise were air and time. I got up from my bed and stumbled into the bathroom turning on only the cold water for my shower. I needed to think, not be comfortable. Chances were I'd never be comfortable again. Faintly I heard a siren in the street outside and I cringed until if passed deeper into the city. I was afraid, I was afraid for myself, I was afraid for that poor cop and most of all I was afraid for Kara. How would Kara look at me if she knew. I slid down in the shower the cold water droplets hitting me like an icy scourge on my neck. Goosebumps crawled over my skin and I began to shiver, in fear, in this the constant cold of the godforsaken city, in hatred of this life in Jupiter Apartments.
We had to go.
Back in my room I pulled open the top drawer to my dresser and looked at the evidence of my crime. It was just as I had stowed it the night before. When I barged in last night, long after dark, the power had been out and Alex had been jumping around in the kitchen trying to crush the vermin that infested the building durning the winter. I had sad a grumbling hello and bee-lined for my room. I had to get out of those clothes. I had hidden in the last place they would've looked, Lu's Garage. Lu had closed up early for some reason. Lu had been a fixture in the town for decades and had let me sleep in the Garage when I was younger but I sill remembered how to slid in through the window by the dumpster. I was warm in there, or at least warmer, but no sleep had come as the lights of the boys in blue flashed like the reflections of water on the ceiling. I was beautiful really, at least until the ambulance arrived and stained it red.
Bloody water.
It had looked like bloody water.
I shook myself and looked down at the stained tracksuit. It was red on the shoulder where I had collided with the officer and red again on the sleeve I had used to stop the bleeding on my face from where the buckshot had torn up my cheek. It had looked grizzly in the mirror but I had gauzed it up.
Luckily Alex hadn't said anything. He rarely asks questions that shouldn't be asked, especially if he thinks it'll give him the boot. Alex was a good man, Kara loved him like family, and honestly that was good enough for me. He seemed sad to me, a real family man without any family. Oh well, he said he would be my alibi for the whole night and we had shared some beers until the power came back on for Leno. A good guy that Alex.
I took one last look at the tracksuit. My blood on the sleeve, the cops on the shoulder and a light powdering of cocaine in the pocket. I didn't have to be a genius to know that this would be the easiest conviction of all time. I shoved it into a garbage bag and then emptied all the trashcans in the house on top of it.
"What else could get me?" I muttered aloud, glancing about again. No blood was in the drawer, it had dried by the time I got home, I had thrown the cocaine in the well in the park, I had showered off...
the gun.
I reached back and found it tucked into my waistband, I hadn't even remembered doing it after I got dressed. I was just second nature now.
"Whats behind you back, dad?"
"WHOA!" I jumped and whirled to see Kara standing wide eyed in the doorway to the common room.
"Oh, you startled me, babygirl." I said trying to slow down my heart, "Just an itch, babe, I'm just taking out the trash and got an itch."
"Okay." She said, just as startled as I was, "Can I watch some cartoons?"
"Cartoons? Oh right! It's Saturday! Of course, of course." I walked over and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Get yourself some breakfast and watch some cartoons. I've got to take out the trash."
I slip on a jacket and head out into the cold of the hallway, the black bag hanging over one shoulder. My mind is in overdrive, can we really leave? Is getting out of this godforsaken place really an option? Money, we haven't got any, damn. Transportation, none of that either, damn. It doesn't matter, we've got to go.
Suddenly I stop. Two cops are standing in the lobby, right in front of the door talking to the super. They must have heard me stop midway down the stairs and, in perfect sync, all three turn their heads and look at me.
Don't freeze.
Don't freeze.
Don't freeze.
"What's going on?" I try to ask honestly as I continue down the stairs, fighting to keep the monstrous fear from my voice.
"There's been a significant increase in violent crimes in this area recently, we'd like to interveiw anyone that might have seen anything." Cop One says, narrowing his eyes.
"Mind if we ask you some questions right now?" Cop Two continues, "Starting with whats in that bag."
"Trash." I say meekly, my voice is leaving, the pistol at my back feels like its alive, writhing about like a freezing liquid metal snake, trying desperately to get the attention of the officers.
"Just trash." I repeat.
"Mind if we take a look?" Cop One says.
"Sure." I open the bag and the smell of half eaten yogurts and bad mac and cheese wafts out, Cop One and Cop Two pull back their heads. Eerily in sync.
"Okay, sorry for the inconveinience, sir." Cop two says.
"Its just a little strange to take out your trash this early on a Saturday..." Cop one continues.
"Yeah. You can only put it off so long though, right?"
"Ha, yeah, I guess you're right." Cop two says.
"Ain't it the truth." Cop one agrees.
I glance back in forth bettween these two peculiar beings. Before turning and taking a step away.
"Wait." They both say.
The gun, I was a fool, they saw the gun, they saw it and they'll take it and test it and I'll go to jail for the rest of my life and my girl will be stuck upstairs eating offbrand cereal and watching cartoons.
"Your coming back right?" Cop One asks.
"Yeah, I've got to get back to my little girl."
"Good, we're going around apartment by apartment and asking everyone if they've seen anything so we'll see you in a bit." Cop Two says.
"Alright, then." I reply, "I'll see you then."
My feet carry me out the door quick enough to avoid further converstation. My legs are jello and my stomach feels heavy and queasy.
When I get to the dumpter I have to vomit behind it.
I practically run back upstairs, taking the long way to avoid the cops.

(Incomplete)

3 comments:

  1. Most striking about this blog is the relation between Jeremiah and Kara. I can just see the whole situation playing out, at breakfast, in the bus, the conversation seems real. This is also reflected in the conversation with Tyrone, the dialogue itself is the most developed and believable aspect. I like how you are developing the character and yet still moving the plot along. I'm still struggling with this myself.

    The plot is good, but it could use a slightly faster pace, I'm having a little difficulty seeing where this is going to go. I know Jeremiah's desire, to leave and go to the country, and I can tell that that would take time, I am still guessing as to where this is going to go. I assume this desire is going to be foiled, as it would effectively remove him from the setting, thus removing him from the collective blogosphere.

    Even so, this shows signs of good development, and the dialogue is entirely believable. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the tension build-up and how the character isn't the only person in the blog. It's hard to not feel really egocentric writing blogs but since your character has something to preoccupy himself with, it makes the plot line much more interesting.
    Sometimes it's hard to keep reading because there's not an exciting action going on. That being said, I guess it's more realistic to not have something crazy going on all the time, because that's not realistic. Normal lives aren't full of tv moments which is what many bloggers seem to be portraying. So, yours, although slower, is more realistic in the long run (sorry..this wasn't criticism really).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey Froyd, what's new?" Alexander said, stepping into Deputy Froyd Delson's office.
    Froyd gave him a very weary look in response.
    "That good, huh? Word on the street is that Donald Fish randomly got shot in the calf." Alex said, thinking back to when he's followed Fish's example of heading over to package store after some stupid kid pulled the fire alarm.
    "Yeah, that whole mess is really weird. We don't even know if Donald was the target. Anyways, the good news is that we finally got J Rizzle on a petty solicitation of prostitution charge, but we're gonna have to get more evidence of his drug dealings and his connection to some of the murders he's implicated in if we're gonna get to keep him."
    "Good, good. Drug dealings, does that mean you need my help" Alex asked, hoping his good friend Jeremiah Taylor wasn't involved.
    "Nah, not really, we dont really have the time to send someone in undercover."
    "Any more good news?" Alex said, breaking the awkward silence.
    "Yeah. That guy who kidnapped and killed that little girl last year is loose. Great news, right?"
    "Damn. That's horrible. How'd he get out?"
    "I don't even want to talk about it. These stupid, lazy prision guards are gonna be the death of me, ya know?"
    "Mmmhm," Alex gruted his affirmation.
    "And of course there's the usual mugging, but the one in the alleyway by the townhomes was particularly gruesome. We think there's something we don't know, something more to that whole ordeal, but I've got more important things to worry about right now. Like that fucker being on the loose again."
    "Mmmhm," Alex grunted again.
    "Well....uh...thanks for coming in today, but I don't think we need you."
    "Oh, well, uh, I actually just came in to get my paycheck."
    "Ah," Froyd said, a glimmer of disappointment in his eyes.
    They stared awkardly at each other for a while, until, fortunately for both, Froyd was called away. Back outside in the crisp fall air, Alex was heading towards Jupiter Appartments. "God, I miss my home, " he thought bitterly, "not this godforsaken whole in the wall. I'm not even doing what I wanted to do here. I'm a fucking narc. Not ridding the world of bad guys with vicious plots, but selling out guys who are just trying to make a living. Maybe I should just go home...." His mind wandered back home, to what drove him away and what would be waiting for him when he got back, then he quickly dismissed the thought from his mind. He trudged as thoughtlessly as he could manage the rest of the way towards Jupiter Appartments.

    ReplyDelete